If you’re trying to install or update a plugin or theme or even updating WordPress core or when WordPress try to downloads a plugin ZIP file, then it has to be able to write that file somewhere. To do this, it uses C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory.
If WP detects that it cannot write files to this temp directory, then you get the error message like “The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_MISSING_FILE (-4) : Missing archive file ‘C:\WINDOWS\TEMP/akismet.tmp ” .
Mostly this kind of error occurs while updating your plugin name or download failed or destination directory for file streaming does not exist or is not writable.
So here we sharing some steps How to fix WordPress missing Archive file or download failed.
1. Go to Your wp-content folder via log-in to your C-panel or by FTP access. The path is: Your Domain/wp-content/
2. Inside the wp-content folder. create a new folder and name it temp.
3. Next need to edit wp-config.php, Open wp-config.php file using text editor and find the below line of code.
if ( !defined('ABSPATH') ) define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/');
4. Add the following line of code after that.
/*Set WordPress temporary directory */ define('WP_TEMP_DIR', ABSPATH . 'wp-content/temp');
5. Save this wp-config.php file and upload/replace this file to your server.
Hope these steps fix your issue 🙂
If not feel to contact us and we will help you to fix it.
This fix worked the first time. Thank you very much for posting this fix!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
This totally solved the problem! =D
Thanks but now getting:
Update Failed: Download failed. Destination directory for file streaming does not exist or is not writable.
Thank you for this sorted problem. Much appreciated
Thanks a lot man
Thank you so much, it solved my problem
whaaaaat! it works!! a million thanks
Thank you it works
Thanks! Solved my problem.